Thursday, April 30, 2015

Tone and Diction

Tone and Diction:


Hello, and welcome to my blog! When deciding on a book to read for this marking period I wanted to pick a book based off of my personal interests, one of these interests being video games! I had heard excellent things about Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, and after receiving it in a monthly subscription box, I decided to give it a shot.

Even after reading the very first line, I was already immersed in the world that Cline had created for his readers. Also right off the bat, I could instantly feel the satire dripping from the words. Cline's writing style is very satirical and humorous, setting the sarcastic tone for the rest of the book. 

Even this simple line "Being human totally sucks most of the time. Video games are the only things that make life bearable." (pg. 12) This line specifically comes from a line in the fictional "Anorak's Almanac" Which is James Haliday's "memoir", so to say. It shows that satirical tone, and that tone continues throughout the rest of the novel. 

I'm already starting to adore this novel. 

6 comments:

  1. I like how you mentioned the allusion to the "Anorak's Almanac" and how it shows that there is a satirical tone throughout the work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you mentioned the allusion to the "Anorak's Almanac" and how it shows that there is a satirical tone throughout the work.

    ReplyDelete