Thursday, April 30, 2015

Structure and Point of View

Structure and Point of View

As previously mentioned, this entire story is told from Wade's POV. This shows the reader a bit of a bias when it comes to the ideas presented in the story. It's told in first person, but from a future perspective. It's Wade reflecting back on his life during the hunt and how his life has changed because of it, providing a flash-backy, chronological structure.

As I said, Wade's narration gives us his view on the story, as well as his ideas. On page 103, he is delving deeper into Halliday's past and his ideas, all while sharing with the reader's Wade's own ideas, " Looking around, I wondered why Halliday, who had claimed to have had a miserable childhood, had later become so nostalgic for it. I knew that if and when I finally escape the stacks, I'd never look back. And I definitely wouldn't create a detailed simulation of the place." 

While this type of narration does show a direct bias, it is still reliable for the purposes of this story. This story is Wade's story, so why shouldn't it be told from his perspective? Just imagine if it was in a different perspective.We wouldn't be getting the same story. It'd be similar, sure, but it wouldn't be this story. It would also probably lack in the amount of detail. These are Wade's experiences and if it wasn't told from his perspective, we wouldn't be getting to see through his eyes, or feel that somewhat personal connection with the text.

And the connection is what is really dragging me into the text!! I personally don't think that I would like it as much if it was any different.

No comments:

Post a Comment